[Marketing] Static+wiki website integration problems to be fixed before Monday - urgent

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:57:08 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Ivan Krstić
<krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Sean DALY wrote:
>>
>> * The new homepage (sometimes called the "static site") should be
>> http://www.sugarlabs.org. It should *not* be http://sugarlabs.org.
>> http requests to that address should land on http://www.sugarlabs.org
>
> Done.
>
>> We had also agreed that its URL (and indeed all
>> those of the wiki part) would become http://wiki.sugarlabs.org
>
> Done. All wiki content has moved to that subdomain, and all current wiki
> links have been repointed there with 301 permanent redirects, which Google
> will pick up on the next reindexing.
>
>> * On http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page, there is a link called Home in
>> the green menu bar, it links to http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs. It
>> should link to the homepage instead (http://www.sugarlabs.org)
>
> It turns out this is tricky. That 'home' link is actually part of a template
> used by all the team pages, so if I repoint it at the static site, we'll
> screw up navigation in team pages.
>
> What I've done for the moment:
>
> 1. Added a separate 'Official Sugar Labs site' link to the
>   green top bar, which is now visible on all team pages
>   including the home page.
> 2. Added a sentence to the bottom of the home page green
>   box that reads "You are currently browsing the Sugar Labs
>   community wiki. To learn more about Sugar, please also
>   visit the official Sugar Labs website". The last three
>   words link to the static site.
>
> Please advise if you want this handled differently.

OK thanks Ivan this is much better already, peope lost in the wiki
will be able to find the static intro.

But, since the wiki is just as official a part of the site as the
introduction, and any first-time visitor will consider
anything.sugarlabs.org as being "the Sugar Labs site" and not separate
sites, can we change "Home" to "Wiki Home", and "Official Sugar Labs
website" to "Homepage"?

The "You are currently browsing..." is good but should be right at the
top instead - welcoming to the wiki and showing the path to the main
homepage. The explanation text is less necessary now since the static
part of the site covers that.

I have just realized that activities.sugarlabs.org has no navigation
back to the main page, how can we fix that quickly?

I also agree a common navbar at the top will greatly aid navigation
(in fact i feel sure i stated this previously). for example "add-ons"
(static) <> "activities" (wiki) and indeed the static Activities page
doesn't link to activities;sugarlabs.org as it should

In the first mail i had mentioned text spidered by Google we needed to
update... does anyone know where the mystery text is, and how to
update it?

Please advise thanks

Sean