Marketing leadership

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Jan 27 10:40:14 EST 2009

Greg,

Could you post this to the open list please?  Also perhaps a paragraph
asking everyone to take a minute to think about marketing and advertizement
people they are friends with and have worked with and to approach a few
people who are not yet involved with Sugar.  We need to expand our capacity,
not guilt current volunteers into doing more.  Volunteerism is in the news.
Perhaps someone knows someone who is looking for a way to use their skills
to help the world.

Also perhaps you could ask around Red Hat and there is someone who can help
as a volunteer.

thanks,
Caroline

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> My job description here at Red Hat is changing a bit, and I'm going to
> have significantly less time to devote to Sugar.  As such, I need to focus
> on areas where I can have the most impact.  I believe that marketing Sugar
> is a pretty key activity, but it's no longer one that I have time to
> lead.
>
> Therefore: it's time to find a new lead for the marketing team.
>
> What does that mean, exactly?
>
> Well, it means a bunch of things.  It means figuring out how to create
> things like t-shirts and lollipops and stickers out of thin air.  It means
> figuring out how to get Sugar exposure at events.  It means arranging to
> getting Sugar advocates in front of people.  It means running meetings to
> keep everyone on the same page (what's most important this week, and who's
> doing it?)
>
> It's a lot of work.  Leadership always is.  I still believe, strongly,
> that someone needs to step up to this work -- but right now, this person
> cannot be me.
>
> With my limited time, I will continue to focus on the engineering side,
> with a specific focus on bringing as many volunteer engineering resources
> to bear.  If someone chooses to renew the weekly meetings, I will happily
> attend and share my experiences in "marketing open source".
>
> The floor is open.
>
> --g
>
> --
> Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
>   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com