[IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOB] yet another motion regarding Samson's travel

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:12:47 EDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>
wrote:

> How many votes would it take to change the tagline of IAEP to “It’s An
> Education Project (not a travel agency!)”?

I feel your pain. The volume of email relating to process issues of late
has been overwhelming. It seems we could in large part remedy the situation
by creating a new email list, shadow-slobs, which could be subscribed to by
any community member who is interested in these sorts of topics and leave
iaep to issues of pedagogy and sugar-devel to issues of software
engineering.

-walter

> Martin
>
> (Not directed at Caryl personally - this whole thread comes off as pretty
> far from SL’s mission to this observer. It should be internal IMHO.)
>
> On 24 Sep 2017, at 23:39, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ed and I would love to host Samson in LA for a couple of days between
> Google and Boston. Kayak is showing the one way ticket at $111 at the time
> he can fly (evening). We will get that ticket for him if the rest of his
> trip is approved.
> Caryl
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 24, 2017, at 8:15 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Lionel Laské <lionel.laske at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> -1 for this motion.
>>
>> Participation to the GSoC Summit is already a privilege. It's fair that
>> Samson as a mentor could have opportunity to attend to it.
>> I don't see any advantage for SugarLabs on the Samson side trip, so there
>> is no reason for SugarLabs to pay for it.
>>

> Lionel,
>
> While I strongly sympathize (I work with Haitian teachers who don't find
> it funny that Samson appears willing to let substantially more than $500
> disappear, far more than a year's salary for my educator colleagues in
> Haiti...)
>
> Still let me still ask: what would you think if Samson approached this
> with a spirit of compromise, spending $1277.68+190 instead of the earlier
> desired 1920.82 (1730.82+190) or 2110.22 (1920.22+190) ?  In this fashion
> his 2 side trips would not cost Sugar Labs much at all:
>
> $1,277.68 @ Emirates.com for https://goo.gl/flights/5WpL Lagos - San
> Francisco Oct 12/13; Boston - Lagos Oct 21/22
> $190 Los Angeles - Boston Oct 15/16
>
> Nobody appreciates a "planned emergency" like this, when Samson's side
> trips could easily have been mentioned in public earlier this summer,
> instead of forcing everyone to the brink like this with de facto
> high-pressure sales tactics.
>
> But let's try to make the best of this obvious disaster and put that
> behind us.
>
> If you agree, Samson might be wise to jump on this opportunity immediately
> instead of arguing for days over a trip that could Very Easily Go Down The
> Drain (as prices are now rising quickly, with Oct 12 only days away now).
>
> In Context: the companies I've worked for across my career would * never *
> allow the purchase of intercontinental flights only ~16 days prior to
> travel like this, even if Samson's side trips had been mentioned
> forthrightly a priori (instead of forcing Sugar Labs to the brink, and
> costing us money with ever-rising flight costs...)

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org
<http://www.sugarlabs.org>