[IAEP] Meeting August 4, 2017

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 5 20:31:19 EDT 2017

Hi All...

There was (and still seems to be) a lot of confusion regarding the topic of a treasurer's report. I think the main problem is that most of you are thinking of the SugarLabs "Books" (a big ledger will all the personal identifying information Adam was referring to) instead of a simple "Treasurers  Report" which just includes the pertinent information without all the identifying details. The former, the "books," should be available to the SLOBs on request on a view only basis as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The latter, the Treasurer's Report, should be available to all Sugar Labs members and other interested parties as appropriate.

Maybe it is all the years I have spent in many types of organizations (4H, Girl Scouts, homeowner's organizations, teacher's orgs, Sierra Club groups, etc.) that make this seem very familiar, simple, and straightforward. Hopefully the information below can help make it work well for Sugar Labs as well.

A quick Google search turns up this list of criteria for a simple monthly treasurer's report. It says it should include:

  1.  the name of the organization.
  2.  the period which the report covers.
  3.  the cash balance at the beginning of the period.
  4.  the income received during the period (with sources)
  5.  the expenses paid during the period (with what it was for and who was paid ... name only, no PII).
  6.  the cash balance at the end of the period.
  7.  the signature of the treasurer.

Another easy to follow resource is this description of how to put such a report together: https://www.energizeinc.com/art/treasurers-report

(Note: the sample they refer to in this is missing... you have to buy the book to see it!).

Yesterday's financial report was very confusing and seeing Adam's email just seemed to make it worse. Maybe going forward we can simplify and we all will know what is happening. Oh, and by the way, there is no need to make the Income negative and the Expenses positive. This is for us, not the SFC.

Caryl