[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] motion for a new mission statement

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 24 19:10:56 EDT 2017

Tony Anderson... here's another +1

Caryl

________________________________
From: IAEP <iaep-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org> on behalf of James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2017 3:04:21 PM
To: Tony Anderson
Cc: IAEP SugarLabs; sugar-devel; Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [IAEP] [Sugar-devel] motion for a new mission statement

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 05:10:36PM +0800, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hey, I think we are making progress! I appreciate your loyalty to
> your employer.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that when I installed Sugar (sucrose) on
> Ubuntu I was installing the Debian package.
>
> My problem with SOAS is this page;
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation. It
> starts out by requiring the user to install Fedora to set up the
> livecd tools.

(a) yes, it's not the best guidance,

(b) it's a Wiki, so you are also responsible for editing it.

> The pages for Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora are much improved. The
> Debian on RPi3 needs an update.

Oh, wow, thanks, I wasn't aware of Debian_on_rpi3; what a useless page
of links.  I've replaced it with a redirect to the current Raspbian
page.

But I'm not your Wiki editing slave, get working on it yourself.

> Visitors to the sugarlabs site would
> appreciate a succinct and current list of supported software (as you
> do at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases), the 'Supported Systems'
> page was last touched in 2012.

No, you've missed that it includes the Supported distributions page,
which is updated regularly.  MediaWiki software has shown you the 2012
change date of the outer page, not the inner page.

You also missed that it shows Ubuntu 17.04 and Sugar 0.110, both of
which are post-2012.

> I find dd to be a simple, no fuss, no muss way to make the usb
> stick.

dd is also a quick way to destroy data on a disk.

> However, the web page could point to gui tools.

If you mean the
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation page, yes.

Fedora SoaS Desktop links to documentation from Fedora;
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Burning_ISO_images_to_disc/
and does point to good tool choices, though it was last updated for
Fedora 20 and is dated 2013.

Sugar Labs Wiki documentation is more ad-hoc, a mix of old and new,
from mainly the perspective of Thomas and Frederick; and recommends a
different method to Fedora.  It was updated in late 2016.

> The real goal is to promote the idea that Sugar is available to
> non-technical visitors for them to install on their own computer.

I'm looking forward to Sugar being available to non-technical visitors
for them to install on their own computer ... but I haven't seen that
happen yet.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/