[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion: to undertake a fund raising drive.

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jun 7 22:38:41 EDT 2016

On 4 June 2016 at 15:25, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I  am all for raising funds but we need to articulate the reason why we need
> them.

I feel frustrated that no one has seconded this motion.

The 2 emails below are the reason that I began discussing the
solicitation of donations from members, and having just looked at
Laura's spreadsheet - since the ledger file itself is not yet
available to me - I want to be clear about why I have posted this
motion and hope that it will be seconded and approved.

It seems the general fund has __JUST__ enough resources to pay for the
Translations-Community Manager position this year:

Last year $9,000 was donated, and as I expect Chris will invoice
$1,000/month for the 8 months of May through December 2016, then it
seems we have $1,000 left in the general fund.

Where did this $9,000 come from? I guess some is GSOC and GCI mentor
fees. Any other sources?

Last year we spent $700 on trademark registration. When will the next
renewal be due?

We also spent $550 last year and $825 in 2013 on 'development.' What
happened, and will we need to spend anything again this year in a
similar way?

In any case, it seems that there is no budget for a Finance Manager
office at the moment, nor a Social Media Manager office, not a Sugar
Summit, unless we start soliciting donations to the general fund.

Cheers
Dave