[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motions A & B for Tomorrow

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:27:01 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 2 June 2016 at 10:17, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I guess I don't really understand what you mean by functional vs
>> divisional in the case of SL.
>>

> Its about accounting more than anything else; in a divisional org, each
> division has its own "Profits and Losses" statements, but in a functional
> org, there is only one.
>

>> The teams are functional and are the people in the community closest to
>> the issues they are dealing with.
>>

> Sure!!! :) I'm not saying anything is dysfunctional; the word 'functional'
> is used in the context of org theory in a very specific 'technical' way.
>

>> Giving Bernie the ability to run to Microcenter to buy a connector to
>> keep the servers running makes sense. Asking Bernie to speak with Person X
>> to ask permission to do the same makes no sense. Having Bernie submit
>> receipts to Person X to submit to the Conservancy makes sense.
>>

> I agree with all that, and would add: Having Bernie submit receipts to the
> Conservancy makes no sense.
>
> The motion as drafted in the PDF above does not require Bernie to speak
> with Person X to ask permission to buy things under $Y; it does mean that
> Person X _could_ disapprove the spending, but I don't think we should worry
> about that. If push came to shove, Bernie could get SLOB to approve it
> directly.

This last statement makes no sense to me.  Bernie "does not" need to ask
permission but his purchase may be "disapproved"? Or is the intention to
*add* another person separate from any concrete goals within the
organization some unilateral spending privileges?  If the latter, what
problem are we solving?

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs