[IAEP] Board Status

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Mon Jan 26 23:45:22 EST 2015

Board elections typically depend on what an organization's articles of
incorporation say.

To clarify, there are several organizations related to what you might call
OLPC/One Laptop per Child:

   - Sugar Labs, which spun off from OLPC in 2008 and maintains the "Sugar"
   user interface.  This mailing list is maintained by them.
   - The "OLPC Foundation", which is a "501(c)3" charity/non-profit
   organization.  "501(c)3" refers to the section of the United States' tax
   code which states what the Foundation can and cannot do.
   - OLPC Association, a "501(c)4" organization which handled many
   operational tasks for the above.
   - OLPC Inc., another 501(c)3 created last year by a different set of
   people.  Many if not all of the trademarks and other property which once
   belonged to the OLPC Foundation and Association have been reassigned to
   them.

In addition, there are a variety of other groups which have had varying
relations over time.  Many of them include OLPC in their name but never
were officially part of the above.  Past and possibly current OLPC
employees have founded organizations for related causes ("Unleash Kids",
"Digi-Bridge", etc.).

In general many of us don't know what you might traditionally think of as
OLPC has been doing recently apart from what they post on their blog.   The
relationships OLPC has had with volunteers, governments, and other
organizations are too complex to explain in a single message.

Disclaimer:  While my name still appears on OLPC's website, I, along with
potentially many other people listed, no longer work for them.