[IAEP] European Commission Consultation on "Opening up Education"

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Sep 1 13:02:23 EDT 2012

Hi all,

thanks to a colleague I learned about a recently launched and very
interesting European Commission Consultation on "Opening up Education – a
proposal for a European Initiative to enhance education and skills
development through new technologies" (
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/consult/open_en.htm).

There's no doubt in my mind that this consultation (the full 5-page
consultation document is available at
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/documents/consult/open_en.pdf)
has a lot of potential.

e.g. Just look at some of the "possible EU actions" items:

* Establish an open access requirement for educational resources developed
with public funding, in line with UNESCO's Paris Declaration on OER.
* Explore possible ways of exchanging high quality OER with other parts of
the world.
* Support teacher education and professional development on ICT didactics
and use of OER, and increase access to communities of practice to develop
transnational collaborative models.
* Develop assessment methodologies and models for assessing learning
outcomes in non-formal and informal learning
* Policy discussions on adapting funding and quality frameworks to
incentivize engagement in open education.

I don't know about you but I find this to be mighty exciting stuff. :-)

Citizens, organisations, and public authorities now have until November 13
to submit their contributions via an online form (
http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=OpeningUpEducation).

I will start a discussion within OLPC Austria to participate in this
consultation and hope to be able to encourage other European OLPC / Sugar /
ICT4E communities to do the same. This really is an excellent opportunity
to make our voices heard.

Cheers,
Christoph

--