[IAEP] OLPC tablets and Nell in the wild?

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:29:16 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,
Actually, C.Scott did post the videos (it is in 2 parts) and the accompanying slides on his blog at http://cananian.livejournal.com/67703.html For anyone who missed it, it is worth the time (60-90 min?) to watch it.
As you will see, it is a "pre-pilot" sort of a "proof of concept" project. The children did not learn to read, but 55% did show that they were "pre-literate" at the end of a year based on getting 12/15 correct on a letter recognition test.
One huge obstacle to their learning to read is that, at the request of the Ethiopian government, the lessons are in English. The children speak only Amharic.
Long ago, when I was taking classes for ESL certification, we were taught that children should be taught to read in their home language first. The decoding skills transfer if it is an alphabetic language and probably other alphabets but  not completely true for a character based language such as Chinese. That is probably why the Chinese government invented the phonetic pinyin system.
Caryl
BTW... C.Scott and Chris describe the theory and methods behind the project and data. It is a very welldesigned study that meets all of the requirements for good academic research.