[IAEP] [support-gang] Ideas for a 3D activity

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 9 20:38:24 EDT 2012

Hi Ahmed,

On 9 Oct 2012, at 17:02, Ahmed MANSOUR <atphalix at inbox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since 3 years I received a XO from the contributor's program to work on a way to run
> 3D on XO-1.After testing several games[1], the solution I choosed for the project is to use Quake[2]
> and replace all violent content and proprietary data by free one. as a proof of concept I made a landmine awareness game for children
> where children would learn avoiding danger through exloring a virtual world [3].
> Since it's the only 3D software to run on the laptop, I made the project as a "framework" so it can be used as a base to build upon other kind of educational games or interactive simulations.[4]
>
> I'm looking now for some idea where 3D could be used to enhance learning and your opinion on what kind of activities could benefit
> from it.

Yes I was looking at  your work so far a little while ago, very glad to see you make use of the Quake2 engine. A long, long time ago, I was contracted to do some character animation for a (unfortunately) propriety education project using the same engine. I modelled, textured, and animated some friendly cartoon animal humanoid like characters (rabbits, cats, dogs). The project was to use them in a non violent custom world where they would challenge the player with questions and puzzles (mainly text if I remember clearly) to allow the player to proceed through the world. Thought it was a good idea, but the project went quiet so not sure anything ever came of it (they were looking for funding at the time, trying to get to the point of having a good working demo).

Wish you the best of luck! If I have some free time I may come and make use of your github framework, it's already in my bookmark menu :)

Regards,
--Gary