[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 55, Issue 11

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 16:09:43 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Brooks, Kevin <Kevin.Brooks at ndsu.edu> wrote:
> We (Sugar Labs @ NDSU) are interested in using Turtle Art to program something external to the computer, or have something external to the computer (beside the keyboard) provide input,  but we haven't settled on what that something would be.  We are also using Sugar on a Stick with laptops at one location, desktops at a second location.  My question would be:
>
> 1. what do people recommend for newbies like us?
> 2. will we likely have to use XOs (we have 10) rather than SoaS?

Turtle Art will let you use sensor input regardless of what hardware
you use; however, the XO give you the advantage of the simple sensors
you can plug directly into the mic in port. The newer XOs also have
additional sensors, such as an accelerometer, that can be programmed
directly from Turtle Art. But any computer with a USB port can be used
with Turtle Art and any number of devices, including Arduino, LEGO
NXT, LEGO WeDo...

> I've always like Walter's demonstration from the Brussell's Ted X: clapping makes the Turtle's line get wider, move faster.  Would that be a good place to start?

The microphone is a fine sensor to start with. As is a webcam.

> Kevin
> http://fargoxo.wordpress.com

regards.

-walter