[IAEP] [Sur] TI MSP430 running on XO 1 - Robotics!

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Wed Oct 3 23:25:17 EDT 2012

Gerald

Thanks for the update.

> I just this link to a project using the TI Launchpad as a robot brain:
> http://e2e.ti.com/group/microcontrollerprojects/m/msp430microcontrollerprojects/496334.aspx
>
> I am going to give it a try.

I have just got my MSP430 launchpad and am planning the next step.

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/msp430_head.html
It seems that there are 2 development IDE's: CCS and IAR
Neither are open source but they are free when used with a 16kB code limitation.

MSPGCC is open source but only works from the command line, no graphic IDE. Yamaplos documents the command line mspdebug at http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OLPC_XO-1 (I do not know if mspdebug and MSPGCC are related)

Currently Arduino, PIC, and LegoWeDo are being used with the OLPC XO with the programming being done on the XO, either in TurtleArt or Scratch. The electronics of the robotics kits are being used as I/O expanders. The students are not programming the processors on the robotics kits. (I am not sure what LegoNXT is doing).

The Arduino is running Firmata software firmata.org/wiki/Protocol which turns it into a dumb slave, I think the Butia team are using similar (but different) software on their Arduino or PIC.

Maybe the most productive approach is to find or write for the MSP430 a Firmata emulator, then the MSP430 can be used as a replacement for the Arduino, under control of TurtleArt (and maybe Scratch).

The benefit is that the MSP430 is currently 1/10 the price of an Arduino. I am concerned that this subsidised price may not continue indefinitely or that schools may not be able to buy them in quantity though.

I will look at MSP430 Firmata. So far I have installed the CCS IDE for Windows (it looked easier than Linux). I will let you know my progress

Tony