[IAEP] Emulating Alice in Turtle?

Brooks, Kevin Kevin.Brooks at ndsu.edu
Fri Nov 16 22:41:42 EST 2012

The kids in our after school program love Alice (Speak), and we have talked to them about how she works.  I just realized that we could get them to emulate Alice's opening moves in Turtle Blocks, with either the "speak" or "show" media objects, but I can't figure out if it is possible to program a response in Turtle using the "query keyboard" block from the sensors palette (or some other block like "print" from Python blocks).  In other words,

Speak -- Hello, my name is Alice.
Speak -- What is your name?
query keyboard ...

... and allow students to type in their name followed by

Speak -- That's a funny / cool / name (or whatever response the kids want to put in).  Getting them to program multiple options would be ideal!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin
--
Kevin Brooks
Chair

The computer's true function is to program and orchestrate terrestrial and galactic environments and energies in a harmonious way.  -- Marshall McLuhan