[IAEP] Sugar Camp France

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:10:20 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some of us (very) briefly discussed this topic but admittedly more in the
> content and documentation rather than the activity translation context.
>
> Given the current efforts in Haiti and the connection we're trying to
> establish with the French project in Nosy Komba I believe that French
> translations will also increasingly be on people's mind.
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

I would emphasize the importance of completed French PO files in order
to facilitate indigenous language L10n in Francophone Africa and
possibly Haiti.

We have the technical means to modify Pootle-hosted PO files to
contain the translated strings of a bridging language in translator
comments (e.g. Spanish for Quechua) which is quite important for
indigenous languages where the overlaying lingua franca is not
English.  However, the prerequisite for this is completion of the
bridging language L10n.

For instance. in the case of Nosy Komba,  the PO files for Malagasy
(the language of Madagascar) could be annotated in this way to
facilitate lang-fr > lang-mg L10n.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/mg/

I don't know for sure, but I would suspect it is easy to find
bilingual French-Malagasy speakers than English-Malagasy speakers.

cjl