[IAEP] Teaching with computers / Enseniando con Computadoras

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Nov 20 15:47:37 EST 2011

Carlos,
you ask:
* Are we willing to take that risk waiting for Sugar or should we propose alternative solutions to the authorities?

* What is more important,  free software or the education of the children who are attending school today?

My answer is that we should consider alternative solutions and that children are more important than software.

I think in discussions on this list we should concentrate on solutions which are actionable by people on this list, otherwise its just 'letting off steam' but not making things better.

Alternatives to Sugar: Windows and the Mac OS are not options. Sugar and Gnome are. Sugar shares most of its code and some of its bugs with Gnome. I use both on the OLPC, neither is perfect, they both have advantages in different learning situations. Children should have access to both, but this is an issue for the deployments, not a useful topic to discuss on this list beyond noting that we think children should have both.

Paid software developers would be good, but this is not actionable by those on this list.

I do have a suggestion which is actionable by those on this list: bug fixes are more important than new features.

Tony