[IAEP] Pathagar library

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon May 30 09:30:26 EDT 2011

Hi,

  I am trying to install pathagar on my schoolserver (having a little
trouble configuring httpd correctly). I hope to start with a
representative sample of the English items in Pustakalaya
(www.pustakalaya.org).

I believe the library needs to handle not only e-books but also media
(images, video, audio). I am planning to use a web interface (Firefox).
Hopefully, each item will be identified with a mime-type. The mime-type
can then be used to download the item to the Journal and to launch the
appropriate activity (Read, Read Etexts, Jukebox, ImageViewer). The item
needs to be downloaded so that the child can access it at home away from
the schoolserver.

One of the problems with Pustakalaya is that the Nepali and English
items and descriptions are intermixed in a way that would be difficult
to separate. In Nepal, content in English, Nepali, and other Nepali
languages is appropriate. In Rwanda, the collections are likely to be
English and Kinyarwanda (with possible addition of French and Swahili).
In Haiti, it is more likely to be French, Haitian Creole, English and
Spanish. Django should make it easy to prepare a script which will
create a copy of the library which contains only items in selected
languages. I also like the interface on International Children's Digital
Library (ICDL) - especially the Basic Search. It is iconic and so less
dependent on translation.

Yours,

Tony