[IAEP] A new way to donate to Sugar Labs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Wed May 11 21:38:01 EDT 2011

BitCoin is a new peer-to-peer Internet virtual currency which is seeing
a rapid growth both in adoption and value: http://www.bitcoin.org/

I've setup a BitCoin client for Sugar Labs and added a note in our
Donate page:

 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Donate#Donate_via_BitCoin

The BitCoin application is still at an early stage of development and is
hard to install for most users. Unless you were already using BitCoin
for other purposes, it's probably better to give using one of the
"traditional" online payment methods.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

== Technical notes for complete nerds ==

Our bitcoin server is currently running on lightwave.sugarlabs.org, our
primary DNS. Besides accepting transactions, the server is using idle
CPU power for "mining" Bitcoins at the modest speed of 3.2 mega-hashes
per second. At this rate, on average we could make $40 USD of revenue
per year of computation (assuming free hardware and free electricity).
Of course, this is more for amusement than a practical way to make a
profit... I'll probably end up stopping the miner when it's no longer
fun to watch! :-)

You can play with the online profit calculator here:
  http://bitcoinx.com/profit/index.php