[IAEP] Olidata computers in Uruguay

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon May 2 13:13:25 EDT 2011

On 2 May 2011, at 16:47, Yamandu Ploskonka wrote:

> the Sur list is following this thread in detail, I just wanted to share a FYI for developers.
>
> 30,000 Olidata laptops have been purchased by Ceibal at $130 apiece and teachers are being "upgraded" to those, trading in their XOs.

Thanks for raising this issue! I've cc:ed the sugar-devel list as it's the first I've read of this.

> One of the most noticeable source for incompatibilities seems to be screen definition, 800x600 in the Olidata, and thus several Activities are cropped,

Ouch, quite a few Activity toolbars will likely overflow at 800x600 (overflow widgets land in a drop down menu in the far right of the toolbar that shows the text from the tool button hint only). The XO is a 1200x900 screen, about a year or two back there was general consensus that we should try and make sure Activities worked well down too 1024x768 as that was common in emulated environments and regular laptops/desktops.

These 800x600 display machines will want to make sure they are running Sugar using an environmental variable of  SUGAR_SCALING=72, this will shrink the UI scale down to fit the lower screen resolution. SUGAR_SCALING currently only has an effect at either 72 (works well for 800x600 and 1024x768) or 100 (for 1200x900 or larger).

There will likely still be activities drawing their canvas with hard coded expectations of screen size, but hopefully these will be reasonably few in number by now. Please file a ticket if you find any (bugs.sugarlabs.org), or feel free to email me and I'll try and chase them up.

One last additional issue you may find is with the dpi of text. Some activities may seem to display overly large or small text fonts. This issue is quite a black art to solve well, but still worth keeping an eye out for and reporting back to the Activity developer.

Regards,
--Gary