[IAEP] Texas Senate Bills 866 & 867 regarding dyslexia passed over the weekend

Rafael Ortiz rafael at activitycentral.com
Fri Jun 3 20:33:18 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au
> > wrote:
>
>> On 3 June 2011 22:01, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>> > Evince (the library used to read PDF) has changed the interface too,
>> then
>> > does not have sense support the old toolbar.
>>
>> I don't think I understand - how do the toolbars in Evince affect the
>> Read activity? Doesn't Read just use the Evince libraries and not the
>> Evince GUI?
>>

> No. I means if we supported the old toolbar, Read activity will not work
> anyway
> because the Evince library has changed.
>

>>  > May be in a few months you can update to 11.2 and use a lot of new
>> features,
>>
>> Updating thousands of XOs scattered across our 7.6m km^2 continent is
>> not a task to be taken lightly. We cannot upgrade them all without
>> some serious planning, and we aren't going to do so just for an
>> activity. No doubt, other deployments face similar challenges.
>>

> Yes, I understand it.
> In most cases, I try to provide backward compatibility. In this case, we
> have new functionality
> for example text to speech, enabled by packages included in the os.
> Then supporting old/new toolbar, new/old evince and wth/without text to
> speech
> does the code and the testing a nightmare.
>

>> Are there any technical limitations in making this activity run on the
>> current OLPC OS?
>>

> No. If you want sent patches to add compatibility, I can review them.

If there are technical problems related to sugar one can work on back
portability, simon and sasha and others, have done a great work on this
sense.

There are some docs for example:
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Compatibility_Tips

When it comes to activities that use pieces of software that are downstream
to sugar the costs of back-portability  are very high, sometimes upstream
developers don't care about it, so sugar developers
must take into count this burden also.