[IAEP] [SLOBS]: Request for certifications of developing an activity

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 13 10:07:49 EDT 2011

Gonzalo,

having worked with a handful of student groups in Austria over the past
three years I agree with your observation.

With education students I feel it's hard to get them involved because
they're simply not used to tools such as mailing-lists, wikis, and IRC
which happen to be the places where most of the existing community hangs
out. While I always try to encourage them to participate or even simply
listen to the conversation especially here on IAEP it only seldomely
works out (e.g. the "OLPC in Science-Subjects --- NEED HELP!!!" mail
from one of the current students back in May or so:-). But more often
then not I end up being the gate-keeper and forwarding relevant mails to
them from the lists, etc. :-/

So while I know I'm beating a very dead horse here: Unless we change or
adapt our communication processes and tools I personally don't expect
many educators (students or not) to participate in the community.

With engineering students I thought that things would be easier however
unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, at least here in
Austria. Again, there was a tiny bit of involvement at some points in
the past but when you see people updating source code via e-mail
attachments and Skype messages you realize that you generally have a
long way to go...

might be a way forward. Ideally some experienced developers and
community people would closely monitor it and offer timely replies.
Everyone working with students should then encourage them to sign up
there. This way there'd be a space for them to collaborate, exchange
experiences, and discuss issues without being overwhelmed by the traffic
on IAEP and sugar-devel which can be very overwhelming at times,
particularly when you're just getting involved.

Last but not least we have to realize that many student projects operate
on a term-by-term basis. Still being a student myself I know how little
time that tends to leave for doing anything that doesn't directly affect
your grade... :-/

Cheers,
Christoph