[IAEP] For Sugar Everywhere, Google-ize!

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:22:34 EST 2011

What does Sugar have? A vision, a community, and a codebase. But right now,
we're tied to some technologies which, while they work, seem to be
restricting the growth of our community.

I think it's clear that HTML5 is the future. Since Sugar is python-based,[1]
that means learning from the community which knows about using python on
HTML5 - which is the pyjamas community. While pyjamas today is generally
distributed as python-compiled-into-javascript, it is developed as native
python talking to the DOM. That latter setup is called pyjamas desktop, and
it works today, and the pyjamas people have a plan to make it work fully as
smoothly as javascript does.

So, in, say, 2 years, an "installed sugar" user could be running activities
on python with a browser layout engine doing the UI; while a "trial
activity" could be a somewhat-slow-to-download blob of javascript compiled
from python.

Jameson

[1] Yes, we could consider ditching python. But I continue to believe that
python is a much better learning language than either Java or Javascript
(for different reasons, but clearly so in both cases). And anyway, if we can
keep python, we can keep a lot of code instead of throwing it away.