[IAEP] Google Summer of Code 2011

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Mon Feb 7 23:33:42 EST 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 at 00:11:13 +0100, Dinko Galetic wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>> This reminds me -- it looks like Dinko's changes were not merged
>> into Pippy mainline.  Can you tell us about the status of his work?
>
> There were things which were in my original plan for the GSoC, but I didn't
> manage to finish. My university obligations have kept me from getting back
> to it (more due to the drain of motivation than due to the lack of time),
> but it's been on my mind lately and will get back to it in the next few
> days.

Chris, Dinko,

Here's what Dinko accomplished:

   * In June, Dinko wrote several new Pippy examples and, with my help,
     solicited a round of review from Anish, which Anish kindly provided.
     Dinko later wrote back that he had implemented the requested revisions.

   * In July, Dinko worked on Python tutorial content. Later, Caryl offered (and
     Dinko responded to) several threads worth of comments on the content of
     three of the tutorial files that Dinko sent to sugar-devel at .

   * In August, Dinko reported that his health declined and that he got stuck
     several times while trying to figure out how to build his planned game.

   * Finally, in September, Dinko published his examples, his tutorial content,
     and his initial work on the planned game here:

       http://google-summer-of-code-2010-sugar-labs.googlecode.com/files/Dinko_Galetic.tar.gz

So far as possible next steps are concerned:

   1. Someone needs to publish Dinko's examples in the form of an activity
      bundle, so that they are useful to people who consume activity bundles (as
      opposed to text files, tarballs, patches, and/or git repos).

   2. Someone needs to write an interpreter for Dinko's tutorial content, so
      that it can be usefully distributed as part of an activity bundle.

   3. Some Pippy maintainer needs to decide how to go about merging Dinko's
      work, so that we can wind up with a proper Happy Ending.

Further questions?

Regards,

Michael

P.S. - @Dinko, Anish, Quozl: Interested outside folks (including me) are
probably able to outright /do/ one or more of these tasks, but I know that I
feel reticent about picking them up for fear of stepping on toes. Therefore,
could you please be a bit more vocal about what kinds and amounts of help you'd
like with these tasks?