[IAEP] food for thought...

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:36:22 EDT 2011

I can't speak for Alan, but I found their examples of unnecessary math to
have a lot of value in succeeding in any of those real-world / science
disciplines.  In particular, this quote:

"How often do most adults encounter a situation in which they need to
solve a quadratic equation? Do they need to know what constitutes a “group
of transformations” or a “complex number”?"

This reminds me of the rare homeschooling parents who say their kids will
learn algebra "if they need it" (
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/unschooling-homeschooling-book-tests-classes/story?id=10410867
).  Suppose you wanted to know something like - how far can I hit this
baseball, and how fast do I need to hit it for it to pass over a fence.
Without basic algebra, you don't know it's even possible to solve these
problems.

And even if you can guarantee you're going into writing and don't need to
know math, how often do engineers need to know what a simile or a
preposition are?  Education is not on a need-to-know basis.

Regards,
Nick Doiron