[IAEP] [support-gang] Quick Question

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 01:17:02 EDT 2011

Caryl,

I have been a Mac owner for a little over a week now and have done
development on the Mac for the iPhone and iPad.  The IDE that Apple provides
is called Xcode and it is free in the Apple Store.  I've never tried it with
Python, but it is a decent editor if nothing else.  You might have to be
careful with indents.

As a Linux user I'm spoiled when it comes to development tools.  Amazingly
good tools are a checkbox click away for Python or any number of other
languages.  A lot of these tools could run on a Mac but you need to install
something called Mac Ports and maybe compile things from source code.  The
Mac is not a congenial environment for developers, in my opinion.  In
contrast Linux practically begs you to write programs for it.

Eclipse is available for the Mac and has a Python plugin available.  It runs
as a Java app, so you'd need to have Java installed.  It would take a lot of
fooling around to get this installed and working on a Mac.

If you really want to learn Python and develop Activities you need a Linux
box.  I have two of them I'm not using and if there was a cheap way to get
one to you I'd give you one of them.

James Simmons