[IAEP] [support-gang] Quick Question

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Sat Aug 6 21:50:42 EDT 2011

I was going to recommend DrPython and found this document, a chapter of
the book "A Byte of Python":

/

    "Choosing an editor

Before we move on to writing Python programs in files, we need an editor
to write the 'source' files. The choice of an editor is crucial. You
have to choose an editor as you would choose a car that you want to buy.
A good editor will help you write Python programs easily, making your
journey more comfortable and helps you reach your destination (achieve
your goal) in a much faster and safer manner.

One of the basic requirements of a good editor is*syntax
highlighting*where all the different parts of your program are colorized
so that you can/see/your program and visualize how it will run. This
also means that you should avoid Windows Notepad especially because it
doesn't support indentation. Indentation means neatly formatting the
program with the use of whitespace (spaces and tabs) at the beginning of
the line to make it easy to read the program. We will soon learn why
indentation is important in Python.

There arevarious development environments
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments>andmany
editors for Python
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors>available. In
order to keep things simple, I recommend using the DrPythondevelopment
environment. It is pronounced as/doctor-python/. It is called a
development environment since you can edit, run and manage Python
programs completely within DrPython. An interesting note is that
DrPython itself is written in Python.

First, we shall install DrPython."

//

He proceeds with instructions to install on all three major platforms:
http://dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov/software/Python/byte-of-python/output/byteofpython_html/choosing-editor.html

Incidentally, Christofer, the boy I think you and I met in Montevideo,
sugarized DrPython, so it works well with the XO as well:
http://activities.sugarlabs.org//es-ES/sugar/addon/4427

/These uruguayan kids never cease to amaze me.

Regards,
Sebastian