[IAEP] Working with a commercial entity.

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Mon May 17 13:43:19 EDT 2010

There has been discussion on development processes and a development
team lead over the past couple of days.  As this discussion moves
forward, I would like the community to consider the effects of working
with commercial entity.

Over the past couple of months I have been exploring business
opportunities to promote the adoption and development of Sugar.  One
of these opportunities is a service and support business for
deployments.  As such, we are building network of developers to work
on deployment specific issues.

One consideration is that these deployment specific issues are often
boring -- stuff like bug fixes.  As such we are paying the developers
the going rate rate for developers in their country or region.  This
brings three advantages:
1. The deployment issues are fixed.
2. These fixes are pushed upstream for inclusion into Sugar.
3.  There is a growing pool of skilled developers, with knowledge of
how to work with the Sugar community, co-located with deployment

david