[IAEP] FW: [support-gang] Voting Continues: Gnome vs Sugar -- The judgement day

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Sun Jun 27 10:29:29 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Caryl Bigenho's message of Sat Jun 26 21:29:50 +0200 2010:

> I agree with Sameer and Marife.  From an educator's point of view, having both Sugar and Gnome available has a lot of advantages.  Sugar offers a kid-friendly environment, while at the same time offering some great Activities for older children.  The younger ones probably won't find much of interest in Gnome to draw them away from Sugar, but for the older ones, having the option of switching back and forth without too much difficulty will encourage them to come back to Sugar for favorite Activities even when they have "graduated" to a grown-up's desktop like Gnome.  This could also dampen the drive for getting "Windows" machines for older students.  Who needs Windows when you can have Gnome?

I'm curious. What's the reason some people - especially adults - prefer
Gnome?
Do they like the UI better?
Do they need/prefer specific applications and it's too cumbersome to start
them from the Terminal?
Is Sugar too limited in some aspect?
Is it that Sugar is currently marketed as being "for kids" and they
(mis)take that to mean "not for adults"?

Sascha