[IAEP] The Texas State Senate: Interim Committee on Dyslexia and Related Disorders

marilyn at ourdyslexicchildren.org marilyn at ourdyslexicchildren.org
Sun Jul 25 12:12:26 EDT 2010

Hello everyone!

As the result of a very long email I sent at the end
of May, I have been invited to testify before the Texas State Senate:
Interim Committee on Dyslexia and Related Disorders meeting being held in
Dallas next week.

I have details posted at http://ourdyslexicchildren.org
.

As part of the presentation I plan to make some technology
recommendations = including a web site to provide multimedia resources for
dyslexic students of all grade levels including all subject areas,
netbooks, tablets, and other hand held devices - focusing of course on the
affordability of Linux/Open Source Software and the common sense of Open
Resources.

Last summer some of you were involved in a grant writing
project regarding technology and dyslexic children. I plan to submit some
of those documents as well, however now I believe the web site to be the
most important feature. We focused on netbooks last summer, but now there
are tablets. The technology will change, but dyslexic students will always
need to learn with audio and video.

During the school year I made Sugar
CDs and spent a week trying out most of the apps with my high school
classes. Sugar is really designed well for students with dyslexia. I did
not have text-to-speech on the CDs I made, but having text-to-speech active
in the browser and text based apps would really make it perfect.

At this
point I plan to recommend Sugar on a Stick for elementary students and
Musix USB for high school students.

I welcome all ideas. I can also
submit documents and written testimony. If any of you are dyslexic, or have
dyslexic family members and wish to submit a document . . . email me the
pdf and I will print it out and turn it in. :)

This is the committee
website. There is video here of their first meeting in April. My email was

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/commit/c804/c804.htm

Here is
their schedule.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Committees/MeetingsByCmte.aspx?Leg=81&Chamber=J&CmteCode=C804