[IAEP] Contents of IAEP Digest, Vol 28, Issue 25

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Thu Jul 15 17:50:05 EDT 2010

> > > Are developers using Sugar as their day-to-day development
> > > environment yet?

I am an educator and tester of Sugar.  I just spent four days in another
country using an XO-1.5 as my travel laptop. I went to visit a tertiary
institute in Australia to help them with their Moodle, then went to a Moodle
conference to present. The XO was running build 205 and I used Gnome (with a
few additions) and Sugar probably pretty equally.

Touch typing took a while to get my head around. I had to slow down and
typing mistakes were regular (I normally type about 80wpm with 99% accuracy,
and probably dropped to about half that speed and accuracy initially but I
did get better).

On the Sugar side - mostly used browse, write, record, memorize, maze,
physics.

Additional installs to build 205 I required - Skype, irc (xchat), jabber
thing (empathy), open office presentation (Impress). Needed lots of other
packages to run those.  Rearranged the panels so there was only one panel at
the top, removed the wide menu thing and replaced with "foot" menu. Removed
gnash because it left processes hanging around using 100% cpu.
gnome-utils (for the system monitor applet)
rpmfusion's mplayer packages
adobe flash via their yum repo

Skype worked, but was unable to record sound, so other party couldn't hear
me. I could hear them and video worked both ways.

Set up a displaylink external USB DVI adapter for doing my presentation, but
didn't need it. Unfortunately at the conference I had to use their
conference equipment so did not present from the XO but lots of people
played with Sugar in the breaks.

Will do proper write up with full list of modifications and post or link it
to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Tabitha

On the Sugar side - mostly used browse, write, record, memorize, maze,
physics.

Tabitha