[IAEP] Sugar Labs 2010 Goals Review

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon Jul 12 22:13:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>>  * Explore Sugar in the context of mobile devices and web-based
>> services
>
> I'm not aware of any work in this direction. I can understand the need
> to integrate with web-based services (aka online communities).
>
> If "mobile devices" in this context means devices smaller than netbooks,
> such as smart phones, I'm not sure what their use would be in an
> education context.

Are iPad-class devices (such as the XO-3) or touchscreen devices (such
as the XO-1.75) counted as "mobile devices"?

There will shortly be a large number of iPad-style devices on the
market.  The hackable ones will probably be running some version of
Android (which may or may not mean that a "real" linux distro can be
installed).

>>  * Eat our own dogfood
>>    * Promote free software
>
> I think we're doing well here.

Are developers using Sugar as their day-to-day development environment yet?

>>    * Be transparent and open to critique
>>
> In the past, we've been criticized for insufficient transparency. Does
> anyone still have a problem with this?

"Open to critique" isn't quite the same as "responsive to critique".