[IAEP] Who determines what version of Sugar is used in the field?

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Jul 11 07:02:56 EDT 2010

(from the last SLOBs agenda-kickin',
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2010-July/011343.html)

Question from Kevin Mark: Who should be the deciding organization for
who determines what version of sugar is used in the field?

"I was confused about the hierarchy of who should be the deciding
organization for who determines what version of sugar is used in the
field. There are more than 500,000 users and many people outside of OLPC
and Sugar Labs that will have to support that choice (of using 0.88) as
well as the support that OLPC and Sugar Labs in Boston and elsewhere
will have to provide. I dont know how a new 3rd party like Activity
Central is involved in this and what role they should be taking as they
are untested and lacking the kind of resouces that OLPC and Sugar Labs
have at the moment."

Mel's response: To me, this is very clear - SL decides what version(s)
of Sugar it will support, and deployments will decide what version(s) of
Sugar they will use. Deployments don't have to use the supported version
of Sugar, they just won't get support from SL if they do. :) And others
(deployments or third-party entities) may step up to offer support for
versions SL itself does not support.

Your thoughts?

--Mel