[IAEP] Corrections for 2.0 Variables

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:29:20 EDT 2010

Hi Dinko,
I'm back to my computer for the evening but will be gone again tomorrow and until Sunday.  I did take an XO and use Pippy to check things in some of the files you sent. I will do a separate one for each section. I might be able to check some of the others before I get back on Sunday.
Caryl

Here are some comments and corrections, shown in red:
2.0 Variables:
Even if you can't guess what the result will be, you can run it and see that this will output (write) the number 3 to the screen - exactly the same as if you had written "print 15 / 5". However, this time we have stored the numbers 5 and 15 under the names "a" and "b". You can picture it as if we put those numbers in boxes, and wrote "a" and "b" on those boxes.Students may have learned this concept as it applies to math in some "pre-algebra" lessons they had in 5th or 6th grade... you may wish to draw a parallel.**# example startprint "Sixth example:"a = (3+9)/2 -(1 + 5)print a# example endAgain, average to good students should be able to evaluate expressions like this by 6th or even 5th grade.
** # example startprint "Eighth example:"number = 5number = number + 1print number# example endTypo: missing letter "h" **    What do you think happens when you write an expression after "print" (examples 1, 2 and 3)? Just as when assigning values to variables, the expression gets calculated to a value, and the value is printed.Typo: missing word "as" could also use "like"