[IAEP] Feedback request for my Python tutorial

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 01:22:55 EDT 2010

Hello Dinko,
This is a nice project and I will take some time over the next week or 2 to look at it in detail.  I notice a few "typos" that I can help with and will send them along later.  However I do have a question and a couple of suggestions at this point after glancing at the download.
Question: Why are some sections unix files and others plain text?  What are we supposed to open the unix files on? I am using a Mac right now, but have an XO and a Windows PC available as well.  Did you mean for everything to be the same format... either unix or text?
Suggestion: When a term is used in a Python tutorial do not assume your reader knows what it stands for or means. Keeping a glossary of terms will help teach the reader more than simple mysterious commands.  For example the > and < signs could be explained (very young readers will not know these).  Also the term "int." I assume it stands for "integer."  If so, tell us somewhere that it does and what an integer is. If not... what does it represent? Is it just a variable that you picked?
Suggestion: Large blocks of text are very intimidating.  If you can break them up into smaller units (paragraphs) it will make it easier for the reader.  Actually, it could also be helpful it the code part of your example was shown as you have it and the rest be in another font it will help the reader. Like this from your Lesson 5:
Example 1
# example startagain = Truewhile again == True:    print "Please enter a number: "    try:        num = int(raw_input())        again = False    except:        print "Error!"
print "Here's my number:", num# example end
I suggest you think about this code before hitting enter to continue. Try to understand exactly what each line does - that's a good way to check how well you've learned from previous lessons. When you continue, you'll get a short explanation of the code so you can check if you got it right.
I have put the code part in 10pt New Courier and the rest in 12pt Franklin Gothic.  This sort of formatting will make things much easier for your readers.
I'm glad you have this project underway.  It will be very useful. When it is finished, we will need to get some people to translate it into other languages as well so OLPC users all over the world can enjoy using it.
Caryl (aka SweetXOGrannie)