[IAEP] Fwd: #1690 UNSP: Retain font and size in Write Activity

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Fri Jan 29 05:43:35 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:57:55AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> What do people think?
As for the font size I think he's requesting palliative changes, not
treating the causes.

> Should we default to non-serif?
ISTR others arguing that one of Serif/Non-Serif is better suited for
paper and the other for screens; Wikipedia confirms this is a common
argument though their reference [1] concludes that the difference isn't
significant (referencing at least three studies conducted on children,
so quite relevant to our discussion).
A well chosen default font (with the ability to override it via gconf)
with decent coverage (resp. a set of fonts for different alphabets)
would probably have a larger impact.

> Should we start new instances of Write with the font that was selected
> last?
The "last selected font" should be the active font in the saved
document. If it isn't, that's a bug since text added after resuming
would have incorrect formatting.
I'm suspecting he wants to have it active for _new_ instances, though. I
don't like that because new instances should always behave the same,
unaffected by instances you've worked on in the past.

The real issue is:

>  The Write Activity has a preset font (Dejavu Serif) and font  size
> (12
>  pts). The font size is much too small for young students [...]

That's just our usual screen size / reader distance / DPI / scaling
problem all over again. This is what we need to fix, not the symptoms.

[1] http://www.alexpoole.info/academic/literaturereview.html

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/