[IAEP] [support-gang] 2 Major Sugar Issues

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 09:26:30 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi...
>
> Two rather huge issues:
>
> 1) Sugar Labs does not have Spanish translations available on either the
> SoaS Strawberry or Blueberry web pages.  I wanted to print these out to take
> to the school in Argentina that wants to do a Sugar deployment in the PC lab
> in one of their elementary schools.  There doesn't even seem to be an
> autotranslate button. We can't expect the whole world to be able to read and
> understand English.

Caryl,

On the Sugar  Labs wiki, look on the left sidebar (towards the bottom)
There is a largish list of language names under the heading "Google
Translations".  You want to click on "Español" for the spanish
autotranslation.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Blueberry&langpair=en|es&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Strawberry&langpair=en|es&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

For self-service, anytime you see a webpage that you want translated, just
go to

http://translate.google.com/

and paste the URL link in the box, select the desired to and from languages,
click "Translate" and you will get that web-page fed through Googles
translation engine.

It is simply a fact of life that wiki content changes so dynamically that it
is extremely challenging, if not impractical to keep synchronous translation
pages going.  Wikipedia itself maintains entirely separate wikis for
different languages, with links between similar articles being added, but no
true synchronization of the content. Google Translation links like those on
the Sugar Labs wiki are the best compromise, even with all of the obvious
faults of machine translation.

cjl