[IAEP] [SoaS] Very Urgent! Still need SoaS Help!

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Jan 18 14:44:50 EST 2010

Caryl Bigenho wrote:

>  > Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:08:27 -0500
>  > Subject: Re: [SoaS] Very Urgent! Still need SoaS Help!
>  > From: walter.bender at gmail.com
>  > To: cbigenho at hotmail.com
>  > CC: iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org; soas at lists.sugarlabs.org;
> support-gang at laptop.org
>  >
>  > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>  > > Hi....
>  > > Besides needing to be able to use SoaS at the "Try-It" Lab at SCaLE
> 8X, I
>  > > now will also need it next Monday, Jan 25th, to take to an
> elementary school
>  > > in Buenos Aires! They have a PC lab that is grossly underused and
> we are
>  > > hoping we can get SoaS to work on their machines. All they have now
> is MS
>  > > Office... for an elementary school. The teachers don't like it.
>  >
>  > :)
>  >
>  > > Fortunately, I will have access to several PCs while stopping over
> in the
>  > > Dallas area to visit our son and family before going to Argentina
> on Friday.
>  > > Now... my most urgent question... logically, the answer should be yes.
>  > > Will this scenerio work:
>  >
>  > Short answer: No.
>
> :-(
>  >
>  > > I download SoaS Blueberry on my son's PC to a usb stick. I check it
> to make
>  > > sure it works. Then if it is a viable copy, I clone the usb stick
> directly
>  > > to another one plugged in to the same PC without having to go
> through the
>  > > long download again. The folks in Argentina (and at SCaLE 8X) can
> also make
>  > > clones quickly using these viable copies.
>  >
>  > The problem is that the user data is on initialization and will get
>  > copied each time. You can change the user name and colors in the
>  > control panel, but not the public keys generated on first boot. These
>  > would have to be deleted by hand.
>
> What would happen if I just took faith that the download was good and
> cloned it before initializing? Is the user data specific to a particular
> machine?

What do you mean exactly by "cloning"? I'm asking because depending on
how you do it, it might or might not work.

>  > > Will this work? Any caveats? Should I also take a copy of Strawberry?
>  > > Would Strawberry work better if the machines are older? What is the
> oldest
>  > > model of PC these will work on?
>  >
>  > Another approach is to copy the Blueberry image locally and then use
>  > the LiveUSB tool to make copies. This is not much more time-consuming
>  > that making replications as per your plan as stated above, but doesn't
>  > require any magic.
>
> Is the LiveUSB tool a PC thing? Is it something that exists on all PCs
> or do I have to take it with me too. If so, does it require another usb
> stick? Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I'm a Mac person and that
> is a whole different world!

Couldn't you just download the .iso once and put it - as a file (!) - on
a USB key, a CD, no matter where. When you want to create a new key with
it, you just use the LiveUSB Creator from here [1]. Then you can just
specify the .iso file you brought along and have it put on a new key.
There's no need to download it over and over again.

--Sebastian

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator