[IAEP] Academic papers about Sugar (UI)

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 06:46:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi Sascha,
>
> the best work in this context that I've seen so far is Sven Bergman's
> master thesis: "Sugar - Not necessarily unhealthy":
>
> http://dimeb.informatik.uni-bremen.de/documents/Sugar-Not_necessarily_unhealthy.pdf
>
> By the way, what is the focus of your thesis? I've recently restarted a
> dormant thesis project myself and would of course love to avoid too
> much overlap (esp. since Sven's thesis is basically *exactly* what I
> had planned to do;-).

thanks for this christoph, interesting

> Cheers,
> Christoph
>
> Zitat von Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org>:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Sorry for the slightly OT post, but I'm having a hard time finding
> > relevant papers for my diploma thesis.
> >
> > I'm looking for papers
> > a) describing the Sugar Learning Platform (high-level overview, ideas
> > behind it) and
> > b) that describe ideas used when designing Sugar (e.g. other
> > experimental UIs), i.e. that formed the basis of the Sugar HIGs.
> > c) anything else that had an influence on the UI design of Sugar.

I have compiled an annotated reference list of alan kay papers many of them
related to UI design issues and presenting original and valuable ideas about
that
http://learningevolves.wikispaces.com/alanKay+talk

I found John Maxwell's PhD and alan kay's paper "an early history of
smalltalk" to be the most valuable