[IAEP] dealing with mailing lists

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:25:22 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this message is to share my concern with the fact that people that
> could play a very important role in Sugar Labs have expressed their
> inability to read and participate on any of our mailing lists. Any
> ideas about what we could do here? Is Walter's Community Newsletter
> enough? What about when we know that their feedback is needed?

Walter's Community Newsletter is not enough in part because I get
almost zero contribution from the community. To make it more than just
my take on what is happening the world of Sugar, I need the
community's collective input. I should be spending more time editing
your thoughts than constructing my own if the Sugar Digest is going to
fulfill this broader goal.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:08, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>>> could play a very important role in Sugar Labs have expressed their
>>> inability to read and participate on any of our mailing lists.
>>
>> Why -- Traffic? S/N? Directness/rudeness? A preference for web forums? ... ?
>
> A particular deployment said that it takes too much time from "real"
> work. I suggested appointing one person in the organization to keep a
> closer watch on the mailing list and relaying the posts most relevant
> for them, but this didn't seemed to convince them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
>>> I would also like to suggest to those colleagues who are subscribed to
>>> the mailing lists but are not being able to keep up with them
>>> regularly, to set up a rule in their mail client that highlights those
>>> emails that include their addresses in CC or that mention their names.
>>
>> +1 -- that's what I do. I'm sub'd to many lists, follow some threads
>> (definitely not all! :) ). I sure keep track of threads where I am
>> CC'd or that I recognise as mentioning areas I work on.
>>
>> cheers,

>> --
>>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>>  - ask interesting questions
>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

We had talked some while back about setting up a team structure where
each school deploying Sugar assigned one person to be responsible for
communication. It is not something we can leave to chance--it has to
be someone's explicit responsibility and there has to be a sufficient
motivation to participate. I believe that the "incoming tide will
raise all of the ships" but we need some structure to get things
moving.

-walter

> --
> «Sugar Labs is anyone who participates in improving and using Sugar.
> What Sugar Labs does is determined by the participants.» - David
> Farning

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org