[IAEP] dealing with mailing lists

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jan 12 12:14:40 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 18:08, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> could play a very important role in Sugar Labs have expressed their
>> inability to read and participate on any of our mailing lists.
>
> Why -- Traffic? S/N? Directness/rudeness? A preference for web forums? ... ?

A particular deployment said that it takes too much time from "real"
work. I suggested appointing one person in the organization to keep a
closer watch on the mailing list and relaying the posts most relevant
for them, but this didn't seemed to convince them.

Regards,

Tomeu

>> I would also like to suggest to those colleagues who are subscribed to
>> the mailing lists but are not being able to keep up with them
>> regularly, to set up a rule in their mail client that highlights those
>> emails that include their addresses in CC or that mention their names.
>
> +1 -- that's what I do. I'm sub'd to many lists, follow some threads
> (definitely not all! :) ). I sure keep track of threads where I am
> CC'd or that I recognise as mentioning areas I work on.
>
> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Farning