[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] 'Resume' vs 'Start a new' Activity

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 09:41:59 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 05:39, Gerald Ardito <gmanb5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in this discussion.
> I am managing a deployment of 140 XOs/SOAS (mostly XOs) and this issue comes
> up a lot with the students. A couple of classrooms are just finishing a
> project with EToys and Resume was a big problem for us.
> In EToys, you seem to have to rename the project in the Journal. So, every
> Journal entry says, by default, "EToys Project." So, time is lost trying to
> find the right one (until the students get the naming thing).

In my draft guide to Discovery, I am suggesting that teachers
explicitly tell students how to name sessions for the first few days,
with decreasing guidance as students get the idea.

"We are going to save our work now. Click the stop sign, everybody. Do
you see that the name "Etoys Project" is highlighted? That means you
can just start typing your own name for your session. Type the name
[name] in place of "EToys Project". Now click OK.

"Save your work, everyone. Does anybody remember how?" "Click the Stop
icon and give the session a name?", some student asks. "Right."

"Now save your session. What should we call it?" Accept a suggestion
and write it on the board.

"Now save your session, and remember--" "To name it!!" they all shout.

> The idea of having some Journal icon in the toolbar seems good. I would also
> appreciate any feedback about EToys.

The Tutorials are excellent. Perhaps we could mock up Sugar in Etoys
and use the same techniques to teach Sugar controls.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/