[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Mockup for collab.sugarlabs.org

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Jan 7 09:47:12 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 01:34:04PM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > maybe I wasn't enough clear, tools like wiki are to common, e.g. why
> > people use bugs tracker instead of wiki or mls.
>
> Trackers, um, track state of the issues/bugs/tasks, and let you
>
>  - form a narrow forum of discussion on a very specific topic -
> minimising noise at the expense of reducing the number of eyes
>
>  - track completion towards an overall goal
>
> Mailing lists have again a different dynamic. But what you are looking
> for seems to me exactly what the feature request => blueprints =>
> tracker workflow achieves. SL has it right now.

Major concerns I had in mind were:

* let non-tech users(not even deployments) to expose theirs requests in
  simple and convenient way:

  * tools like wiki are too common and we have to remind people all
    time to follow some rules

  * much better to have "ASLO for requests(needs)", when user opens site
    which contain only requests(w/o bunch of related development info)

  * people can browse/vote/create requests and track implementation
    progress(just fact of completion). All development info could be
    accessible from development resources(request page could contain
    links).

* having such convenient tool will stimulate sugar users to share their
  needs and make sugar development process more flexible when developers
  do what is a real need for sugar users rather what they think is

* such collab.sl.o could be the first place where interested in
  contribution people could go, even casual participant e.g. if you are
  a designer and have spare time for these weekends, just open
  collab.sl.o, search for artwork requests and implement some of them
  (browsing wiki or ml could be painful)

* one of side effects of such site would be more coordinated development
  process, developers know what is going on and where the place they can
  contribute right now

All mentioned above could be(already) done in existed env. But the major
idea of collab.sl.o proposal is bringing life to existed scheme by
stimulating users to share their needs(due to having convenient
"ASLO for needs" site).

About launchpad, maybe I'm wrong but launchpad seems to me targeted more
for developers and experienced users who test development releases or at
least post bugs.

I'm personally for lightweight collab.sl.o(to meet only mentioned above
issues) and reusing existed development related resources like
wiki/launchpad/mls for development process.

--
Aleksey