[IAEP] [POLL] collab.sugarlabs.org

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 5 12:33:10 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:05:31PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Background:
> >
> >  Step in issue, sugar is not unique here, thats the problem for other
> >  FOSS projects as well. But sugar has it's own specific nature - sugar
> >  stimulates(at least should) doing not just using, our audience could
> >  have additional layers - teachers for examples. Projects like sugar
> >  also unique because it's not only about producing final product but
> >  about improving basic things - education here. So, many people could
> >  want to participate to projects like sugar even if they are tacking
> >  part in other FOSS projects. Thus the critical thing for sugar is
> >  supporting casual participating. Participating not only by experienced
> >  developers but designers, casual doers etc.
> >
> >  Someone could argue that it's about gaining critical mass of
> >  contributors and we didn't achieve this point yet. But what about
> >  achieving critical mass of targeted audience and even users of
> >  sugar(thanks to OLPC).
> >
> >  For example what can do teacher somewhere in Uruguay if local needs
> >  requires some improvement in sugar, he can post en email to one of
> >  sugar related lists, ask someone on IRC but is it so friendly?(it's
> >  the same level of answers like "ask google"). What can do individual
> >  who needs some activity and going to pay for this activity
> >  development(during 0.86 cycle I got such request and had to bounce it
> >  since didn't have enough time).
> >

> > So, the question is should we have special place to treat such issues
> > in convenient and casual developer/requester friendly manner.
> >
> > This collab.sugarlabs.org shouldn't be the only place to track all sugar
> > users needs and of course any big deployment could have its own
> > internal/external infrastructure. But having one place where every sugar
> > users can look by default could useful.
> >
> > One of benefits of such site is a chance to coordinate sugar development
> > contributions from outsiders/casual-contributors etc. BTW looks like
> > even for core team we don't have strong coordination, there is no
> > regular meetings etc. With collab.sl.o we at least can see what
> > particular contributor is doing right now.
> >
> > Another benefit is that collab.sl.o could be right place to sustain
> > developers by paying for implementing particular feature or having
> > donation button like AMO does.
> >
> > --
> >
> > This email was subjected by [POLL] to not loss this thread and since
> > this question could be very arguable in details, lets split it to
> > several stages, one for poll of necessity for this feature at all and
> > next(if first stage will be accepted) for discussing details.
> >
> > Please attach +/- to your reply.
> >
> > --
> >
> > +1
> >
> > --
> > Aleksey
> >

> +1 as I am very sympathetic to you intentions. However, I worry that
> [...]

yeah, at the end my concern wasn't about creating new site but about
issue I'm facing(and guess not only me) - tracking needs, and this issue
can't be fixed effectively(but can somehow) in existed env.

So, details could be task for second poll round, but maybe we need to
* call for mockups(not in tech details but to see regular workflows)
  for collab.sl.o/reorganizing-existed-env
* schedule meeting to select more reasonable scenarios
* announce 2nd poll
?

--
Aleksey