[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] [DESIGN] Journal Reload a new attempt

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Tue Jan 5 03:37:09 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 12:56:28PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 03:20, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > (oops, wrong subject)
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > This post is not about particular feature but about proposed
> > to 0.88 features that can be composited to one set.
>
> IMHO, instead of proposing (apparently out of the blue) new features
> that change everything including the development and deployment
> models, would be better to start from a stated need and then propose
> solutions for those.
>
> In the particular case of the Journal, we know from the 0.86 cycle
> that the current list widget is not the best we could use. Users are
> also demanding a way to select multiple items and perform operations
> on them. Sorting has also been requested. Do we really need to decide
> on the plugins thing before we solve these simpler issues?

Just to make clear what I had(and have) in mind, our current development
model(not core team but in wide sense) seems to me not adequate to sugar
original purposes, we don't have essential and convenient way for casual
doers to hack sugar, ok we can say - "there is git.sl.o and you can fork
any sugar project", but is it fair? There is no convenient ways to share
doer's hacks, should be suggest "git clone && configure && make install"
for any user who wants to test new hack?

So, in my mind having such infrastructure which stimulates sugar
hacks(by giving simple and convenient tool to hack and deploy them) is
more important(at least doing explicit steps on that way is more
important) then fixing current sugar.

I had all these in my mind then I proposed plugins to sugar shell, now
the full evolution of this idea is:

  shell-plugins -> Sugar-Services -> Saccharin-distribution[8]

Back to discussion about what has prime priority, deployment needs or
something else.. I guess answer here is simple, developers who
represent deployment organisations like OLPC have more centralized
focus and any casual contributor has his own view. We can make this
difference smooth by creating needs.sugarlabs.org site with convenient
database of deployment(and from individuals) needs but I don't see
any progress on that way, I think answers like "ask google" don't play here.

[8] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Saccharin

--
Aleksey