[IAEP] Need Live CD to take to Argentina

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jan 4 18:56:05 EST 2010

On 4 Jan 2010, at 23:11, Gary C Martin wrote:

> Hi Caryl,
>
> On 4 Jan 2010, at 19:33, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary, (a fellow Mac person... yea!)
>>
>> I really want to do the Live CD rather than the USB version of SoaS... due to the difference in cost.  I can take them 20 CDs for what one usb stick would cost!
>>
>> Can I just do it with a live CD?  The usb would be just for storing work and they can get their own.
>
> You can certainly burn the Blueberry SoaS .iso onto a CD and boot from and use it (just use DiskUtility on the Mac). It will obviously forget everything once you reboot, though there's nothing stopping you from copying some of your work over to a USB stick before you reboot – not a very good workflow, and misses the whole 'Journal auto keeps your work for you' concept. You will also likely run into some issues as metadata related to a journal entry is no longer stored once you copy an entry onto a USB. This is great for interoperability with other operating systems (e.g. draw a PNG with paint or use Write to generate an .odt file, other OS's can edit the files just fine), but it can be a problem for many activities** without correct MIME and file extensions defined correctly as Sugar no longer recognises the file type at a later date.
>
> ** i.e. even my own Labyrinth work seems to fail on this test, even though I spent quite some time setting up a valid MIME type and file extension and custom svg icon; the file extension seems to go missing once an entry is transferred to a USB stick and haven't sussed that issue out yet :-( Walter seems to have Turtle Art working now, so I should go poke through his code to see what I am missing.

Ooops, I must still be recovering from holiday cheer. Physics was the activity all set up and working with MIME and extensions; I remember now, I've held off doing the work on Labyrinth as folks don't seem to like Labyrinth as the activity name. I'm dragging my heels as it seems a waste of time and IMO could cause more confusion that it's worth (and a name change is not trivial, it's referenced all over the place and will need re-translating), but if there is consensus on a new name... the suggestions so far were:

	Think
	Connect
	Conceive
	Conceptualise
	Organise
	Map
	Envision
	Brainstorm
	Outline

If there's no agreement or the community decides Labyrinth is not such a bad name, all things considered ;-) I'll stick with it and add a matching MIME type and file extension for the next release.

Regards,
--Gary