[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 14, Issue 58

James Simmons jim.simmons at walgreens.com
Mon May 18 13:12:29 EDT 2009

Kathy,

The free books aren't on a thumbdrive.  They're scattered all over the
Internet.

There are hundreds of thousands of free books that teachers could use if
they knew how to find them.  One way to help them would be to put links
to the best websites on the start page when you open Browse.  That would
be good, but finding and downloading the books to the Journal is still a
lot of work.  Read Etexts won't let you browse through every available
free book, but it does let you browse and download 28,000 good ones.

What I hope to accomplish is to demonstrate just how much free content
there is.  Free ebooks can be used to justify using Sugar on a Stick or
buying XO's all by itself, just like VisiCalc and Lotus 1-2-3 justified
buying PC's and Apples for businesses.  In the long term all the other
stuff that Sugar can do should be more valuable, but ebook reading is
something that's easy to sell.

James Simmons