[IAEP] Sugar Online (was Re: http://www-testing.sugarlabs.org/)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Mar 1 05:32:24 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:12, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Building a website for kids seems like a great idea to me. An online
> extension of the Sugar interface could foster interaction between
> Sugarized schools in a country and even beyond borders. The commitment
> of choosing a username is not major for an existing Sugar user. And,
> it could provide curious grownups with a (partial) idea of the Sugar
> experience.

This remembers me something that has been in the back of my mind since
FOSDEM, when Patrick Sinz showed me the custom UI that they have
designed for the Gdium.

They use gdesklets to display some widgets in the screen that relate
to some online activity of the user. Those desklets can display info
from facebook, gmail, rss feeds of all kinds, etc. The idea being (as
I understood it) that the gdium is not only the physical device on the
hands of the user, but also a medium through which sync a global,
virtual identity with the local, real identity of the user. Of course
this assumes an internet connection of some reliability.

This may be related to a global "bulletin board", concept so often
discussed but still so far from being implemented:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DesignTeam/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/Bulletin_Boards

What do people think? Accessing, caching and displaying some online
content inside the Sugar shell instead of only inside Browse seem like
an idea worth discussing?

Regards,

Tomeu