[IAEP] Some Comments on Digital Textbooks In California

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:39:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Maria Droujkova<droujkova at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to make two points about "the textbook initiative."
>
> 1. It's not about text anymore. Educators need to shift to a variety of
> media.
>
> 2. It's not about books anymore. "Book" is the metaphor for a huge
> producer-consumer divide and broadcast models of learning. The efficiency of
> broadcast models is lower than the first steam engine prototypes. Educators
> need to shift to co-production and participatory models of learning.

Exactly so. See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks for a
project to do what you ask for.

I am organizing another group to talk with the various state
governments involved in Digital "Textbooks" and one-to-one computing,
including South Carolina, Maine, Georgia, California, and Illinois.
Another dozen states have expressed interest but not taken action yet.
Please let me know if you have appropriate contacts in state
government, subject-matter organizations, or other interested groups.

> --
> Cheers,
> MariaD
>
> Make math your own, to make your own math.
>
> http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
> http://groups.google.com/group/naturalmath future math culture email group
> http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations

And Children are my nation.