[IAEP] Presenting Sugar to Rosie's Girls Camp, recommendations for cheap, fast flash drives

Nicco Eneidi nbotticelli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:14:26 EDT 2009

I'm looking at doing a presentation on Sugar Friday August 7th at a local
Rosie's Girls camp happening at our high school in Bennington, VT. Today I
was asked to do an impromptu workshop with these girls on how to make a
slide show using photos that they've taken over the last few weeks and I was
thinking that this would be the perfect opportunity to show them SoaS.

Rosie's Girls is a take on Rosie the Riveter from World War 2 when women had
to take on non traditional roles in society especially in building ships and
planes in the factories for the military at the time. This camp is based
around introducing middle school aged girls to non traditional career paths
that they may get interested in and go into in the future. So far they have
done things like learning how to do basic car/engine maintenance, basic
carpentry skills with electric saws/tools etc, and learning how to weld.
They are also doing a lot of outdoor activities invovling sustainable/green
energy and building solar heaters etc.

After working with them today and seeing how technically these girls are I
think presenting Sugar to them and using Turtle Art would be a wonderful way
of introducing them to basic programming among other things. I may be able
to get the district to purchase new usb drives for them too but I would need
them to be relatively cheap and fast.

For my camp last week I had purchased the ruggedized 2GB Patriot drives from
newegg for about 15$/each but those are a bit overkill and expensive for
this. I'm also afraid to buy another drive not knowing if it will actually
work or not.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations on drives that they absolutely
know will work and are under 10$/each?

Thank You!
-Nicco

--