[IAEP] NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Fri 2PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri Jul 31 14:11:08 EDT 2009

Please join us (right now!) reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat, 2PM EDT Boston Time Friday, right here
right now :)
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects#XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* Fast Review of the 2 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

1. Ceibal Jam - Uruguay
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=44651
   http://drupal.ceibaljam.org/?q=contributorsProgram

   Requests 20 XO's over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   This project aims to expand our Developers Program and increase
   the number of contributors. We plan to promote a paid internship
   program funded with donations and grants that will become available
   thanks to our new NGO status. This program is inspired by the Google
   Summer of Code program.

   The volunteer nature of the work makes our progress slow and
   despite our efforts we don't have the amount of contributors and
   finished activities we desire. We hope to get more things done with a
   paid internship program that could attract students. In Uruguay there
   is zero unemployment in the ICT sector and most university students
   can get a good job after their first year at school, then they get
   very busy with work and studies and are unable to contribute as we
   wish. This new batch of XOs would help us boost the internship program
   and hopefully increase the number of finished activities.

   Our measurable objectives are:
   - increase by ten the number of active projects by the end of
     the year (current number = 16)
   - increase by five the number of finished projects by April
     2010 (current number = 6)
   - complete at least five paid internships by April 2010

2. XO Laptops for Mayan children in Guatemala - Sponsor in West
Florida/FL, USA
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=44982

   Requests 2 XO's

   Project Objectives:
   We believe that the combined efforts of individuals and organizations can
   make great ideas a reality. The combined efforts of OLPC, Rotary,
   Adopt-A-Village and Advanced Computer Systems can significantly
change the
   lives of the Mayan children of NW Guatemala. Our objective is to
deploy the
   XO laptops to one classroom at a time in selected Mayan villages of
   Guatemala. The XO laptop will empower the young Mayan children to
learn and
   have a better future.

   Additionally, our business and community contacts will allow us to excite
   others about the OLPC concept. We anticipate obtaining additional
donations
   for OLPC.

   We anticipate a first deployment of twenty XO's to be scheduled for a
trip
   to Guatemala in Feb. 2010. We request two XO's now for training and
   familiarization.